It is widespread that your toddler suddenly wakes up overnight. It occurs when your toddler sleeping is disturbed at night. Sometimes the toddler wakes up for milk. There are other reasons responsible for your toddler waking up, such as when your toddler dreams and suddenly wake up. This dream must be fearing that is why your toddler wakes up overnight.
Your toddler may wake up due to some disturbance, i.e, noise in the room where your toddler is sleeping. However, the proper sleeping of about eight to twelve years is essential for your toddler. So that your toddler has a sufficient amount of energy for the next day; as a result, your toddler is actively involved in regular activities.
Read Also : Does Your Toddler/Baby Have a cold?
Sign and Symptoms of Waking up Overnight:-
There are many symptoms of waking up your toddler at night. A few of them are listed below.
- The significant signs and symptoms of waking overnight are stress and abnormal sleep cycle, and underlying health condition. These are causes of waking up overnight in your toddler.
- If your toddler is waking up overnight regularly, it is also a sign and symptom of insomnia which is very harmful to your toddler’s health.
- If your toddler wakes up overnight and can not fall asleep back, it is also a sign and symptom of waking up overnight.
What are Causes and Risk Factors which are involved in waking up your toddler overnight?
Many causes and risk factors are responsible for waking up your toddler overnight. These causes and characteristics facters include:
1. Digestive Problems:-
Digestive problems are the primary causing agent for waking up your child overnight. When your toddler’s proper digestion does not occur, or pain or cough occurs from acid reflux. It will also cause irritable bowel syndrome in your toddler.
Pain also causes waking up in your toddler. The pain may also result in arthritis, sickle cell anemia in your toddler. It is also possible that waking up in your toddler occurs due to heart diseases. Suppose your toddler has cancer, then it will also cause waking up in your toddler overnight.
3. Breathing problems:-
Breathing trouble also causes waking up problems in your toddler. These breathing problems include asthma, bronchitis, or any other lung disease in your toddler.
4. Brain and Nervous System Diseases:-
Suppose your toddler has any brain diseases from birth or nervous system(spinal Cord) related problem. Then it is also causes waking up in your toddler. Some children have epilepsy problems that occur from birth time, and other diseases are also included, which causes waking up in your toddler. In this case, your toddler’s brain is disturbed, and your toddler is not taking the proper sleep.
5. Wetting the bed:-
Some children also have the problem of wetting the bed. This problem usually occurs due to night fear or if your toddler’s kidney or bladder is weak and the bladder cannot store urine for a long time. Then the waking up problem also occurs in your toddler.
6. Hormonal Problems:-
Some hormonal problems also disturbed your toddler’s sleeping pattern. And as a result, your toddler wakes up at night. It is due to an increase or decrease in the concentration of hormones in your toddler’s body.
7. Naping your toddler too long:-
Sometimes when you were naping your toddler too long, then it disturbed your toddler’s sleeping. Due to long time napping, your toddler wakes up again and again. It causes waking up in your toddler. So you have to nape your toddler for a specific time so that it does not cause wakes-up problems in your toddler.
Anxiety is another major cause of waking up overnight in your toddler as your toddler loves to sleep with you. As long as moms separate their beds from their rooms, the toddler becomes sad; anxiety starts in your toddler.
9. Night fears:-
Night fears also cause waking up in your toddler overnight. When you leave your toddler alone in his/her room, then your toddler feels alone and afraid.
What to do when your toddler waking up overnight:-
When your toddler is waking up overnight, you can treat your toddler at home by making a toddler’s proper sleep schedule. This sleep schedule helps you to provide your toddler a better and comfortable sleep. You can also avoid naps because these cause disturbance sleeping in your toddler, and that is why your toddler wakes up overnight.
If pain symptoms have appeared in your toddler, you should have to use the painkillers which your baby doctor recommends. You should also prevent your toddler from eating a large meal before going to bed. It would be best if you gave a feed to your toddler three hours before going to sleep. You can also practice cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), which also helps treat overnight wakes up in your toddler.
Which preventive measures help you to reduce waking up in your toddler overnight?
Although many factors cause waking up in your toddler. But in this article, I mentioned below some preventive measurements that help you to prevent and cure your toddler from waking up overnight.
- You can prevent waking up overnight in your toddler by making a sleeping schedule for your toddler.
- You should also provide a comfortable sleep to your toddler. Because a bit of noise can disturb your toddler’s sleep and your toddler wakes up overnight.
- It would help if you also gave your toddler diner three hours before sleeping because it is beneficial to rest your toddler comfortably.
- You can also prevent waking up in your toddler when you stop screen time before going to sleep.
- You should also provide the correct quantity of sleep. About eight to twelve hours of sleep is very beneficial for your toddler. It also helps you to prevent waking up in your toddler.
- It would be best if you also kept this thing in your toddler that in the room where your toddler is sleeping will be comfortable and smooth, including bed and other things. It helps you prevent your toddler from night fear and provide your toddler with a restful and safe, and sound sleep.